From: Harshwardhan Nagaonkar [mailto:harsh@ee.byu.edu]
Sent: Tuesday, December 16, 2003 9:39 AM
To: debian-user
Subject: Re: XP-LINUX Dual Boot

And thus we see that Abhay Watwe said, :
> Hi:

Hi Abhay,
> I have a Dell Dimension 8300 which came preloaded with XP on the first
hard
> drive.  I added a second hard drive and installed Debian Woody on it.  I
> installed LILO with MBR on /dev/hdb1 which is my / partition.  The machine
> does not have a floppy drive, so I rebooted and used the Debian CD to boot
> into linux in rescue mode.  Then I used the following command to create a
> linux.bin file
>
> dd if=/dev/hda1 of=/linux.bin bs=512 count=1

I remember these instructions from a website that I used once. You
should modify this line to indicate your MBR for linux i.e. /dev/hdb1.
So instead of just using the line from the site; modify it to look like:

dd if=/dev/hdb1 of=/linux.bin bs=512 count=1

And it should now work. Let me know if that worked. Good luck!
<snip>
> Thanks
  You are most welcome.
--