Re: Knoppix saving data

On December 16, 2003 04:33 am, Gruessle wrote:
> I am trying to use the XFree86 config data from knoppix for Debian.
>
> The only place I could find where I can save data while in knoppix
> was the desktop.
> After exiting knoppix and going back to Debian I can't find the
> desktop. I figure knoppix deleted that folder.
>
> Do you have any solutions I could use besides typing that whole thing
> in by hand?
>
> Gruessle
>
> ==================
Once you have booted Knoppix open a console window then type in:
sudo mount /dev/hd?? /mnt/hd??
sudo cp   /mnt/hd??/etc/X11/XF86Config-4 /mnt/hd??/etc/X11/
XF86Config-4.backup
sudo cp /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 /mnt/hd??/etc/X11/XF86Config-4

Replace ?? with drive letter and number of the Debian / partition, the
first step mounts the / partition. The second copies the Debian X
configuration to a backup and the third copies the Knoppix
configuration to the Debian install you will want to answer yes to
overwriting the file. You may also want to change the protocol used by
the mouse from auto to whatever you will be using or X will fail to
start and you are going to get errors due to all the fonts not being
installed that are in the Knoppix file so you will want to compare both
files and comment out the lines as necessary.

Stephen