how to clean up or reinstall fonts

Hi,

A few days ago I fiddled with the fonts in my Debian Sarge system. Since then I have observed some pecularities. Gimp hangs on selecting some fonts. And maybe also connected is that when i do ssh to a different machine and open a remote xterm and then right click the mouse button on the xterm to change the fonts, X restarts (I get logged out and login screen appears). The messy installation of fonts may be causing this.

So, any advice how do I go about cleaning up my fonts? Or maybe just uninstall all fonts and reinstall them? I would appreciate pointers that explain how fonts are setup and how to install/uninstall them.

Thanks a ton,
->HS
--
(Remove all underscores from my email address to get the correct one. Apologies for the inconvenience, but this is to reduce spam.)