/var/cache/apt (was Re: don't have enough free space)

on Sun, Dec 14, 2003 at 03:43:48PM -0600, Kent West (westk@acu.edu) wrote:
> Gruessle wrote:

> > I ran tasksel from the shell prompt and selected one program but it
> > exits with following error:
> >
> > E: Sorry, you don't have enough free space in /var/cache/apt/archives to
> > hold all packages.
> >
> > I have 3 partions on my drive of a total 7.5 GB
> > Could it be that it only uses 2 partions?

> Each partition holds a different segment of the system (assuming
> you've set up your box that way; otherwise you may have everything on
> one partition and nothing on the other two). What matters is the free
> space available on the partition where your /var/cache/apt/archives
> is. You might want to do a:
>
>    df -h
>
> and/or a
>
>     df -h /var/cache/apt/archives
>
> to see what's available where. If the "Avail" column is smaller than
> what you're trying to download, you'll have to do some tweaking.

Addition:

   - Posting output of the above commands would be helpful.

   - Your system updates are stored in /var.  I find that the partition
     /var is on should be at least 500 MiB, and preferably 1+ GiB for a
     typical Debian installation.

   - I have a set of partitioning recommendations you might wish to look
     at:

       http://twiki.iwethey.org/Main/NixPartitioning

   - If you're pinched for space, you can run 'apt-get dist-upgrade
     --no-download' to install packages from your currently available
     cache.  Repeated iterations of:

       apt-get autoclean         # clears out extraneous packages.
       apt-get update
       apt-get -du dist-upgrade
       apt-get --no-download -u dist-upgrade

     ...may be able to walk you through a small /var (or large update)
     situation.  Though it can take a while...

   - You can also extend your archive space, in a pinch, by creating a
     symlink to a larger partition.  Say you've only got 250 MiB on /var
     and a 5 GiB /home.  Create, say, /home/admin, and under that:
     links/var/cache/apt.  Copy your existing /var/cache/apt to this
     location, then:

       rm -rf /var/cache/apt
       ln -s /home/admin/links/var/cache/apt /var/cache/apt

     ...exercising the flexibility of GNU/Linux.

Peace.

    Of the top 24 industrialized nations, only Turkey has the government
    covering a smaller percentage of medical costs than the USA.
    - Laurie Garret, _Betrayal of Trust_