Re: Nagios not quite working

James Roberts said on Sat, Dec 13, 2003 at 12:53:54PM +0000:
> The system reports "Warning: Monitoring process may not be running!"and
> "Process Status:  UNKNOWN". The gateway box status is shown as 'Pending'.

Well, it sounds like nagios isn't actually running.  However, things to try:

1) Do you have a nagios_check_command set in /etc/nagios/cgi.cfg?  I have the
following that Works For Me (tm):

nagios_check_command=/usr/lib/nagios/plugins/check_netsaint -F
/var/log/nagios/status.log -e 600 -C [nagios]

This command is run when you check the "Process Info" on the left frame, and
may give you more info.

> Could anyone offer a few hints? Or tell me what other information I need
> to give  to help resolve this?

It's normal for active checks to be Pending for a little while; the CGI
interface should tell you when Nagios has the check scheduled for.  You should
also try running the check command as the nagios user from the command line,
and make sure that it actually works; there often are permission issues with
plugins.