Re: postgresql and domain sockets

On Mon, 15 Dec 2003 at 10:23 GMT, J.H.M. Dassen (Ray) penned:
> On Mon, Dec 15, 2003 at 01:01:26 -0700, Monique Y. Herman wrote:
>> What have I missed?
>>
>> ( postgresql 7.3.4-9 on unstable )
>
> postgresql-client 7.3.4-9 as well?

Yes, sir!

>> I just installed this package.  When I try to do, well, anything, it
>> says:
>>
>> psql: could not connect to server: No such file or directory Is the
>> server running locally and accepting connections on Unix domain
>> socket "/var/run/postgresql/.s.PGSQL.0"?
>>
>> Here's what *is* in the directory after firing up the app:
>>
>> home:~# ls -l /var/run/postgresql/ total 4.0K srwxrwxrwx    1
>> postgres postgres        0 Dec 15 00:38 .s.PGSQL.5432= -rw-------
>> 1 postgres postgres       28 Dec 15 00:38 .s.PGSQL.5432.lock
>
> This suggests that the database backend is present and listens on the
> default port (5432).
>
>> I see no .s.PGSQL.0, so I guess the obvious question is, how do I get
>> one?
>
> The obvious question isn't always the right one. The right one is most
> likely: "why is psql looking for /var/run/postgresql/.s.PGSQL.0 rather
> than /var/run/postgresql/.s.PGSQL.5432?".
>
> The socket name encodes the port number, so you may want to try if
> setting the port number explictly helps: psql --port 5432 template1 If
> that helps then you may want to check if/why you have the PGPORT
> environment variable set. (I can recreate the behaviour you're seeing
> when I set PGPORT to 0 or to a non-numeric value)

Interesting.  I've since discovered that running psql manually as the
postgres user works just fine; it's the provided createdb and createuser
tools that cause the problem.  I can use psql instead, so I guess it's
not a horrifically big deal ... I haven't checked to see whether pg_dump
and friends work, though.

Now I just need to figure out if this is a package bug, or if it's
something weird that I've done.

--
monique