loopback interface down, sob ;-(

Hi!  After all the publicity about the breakins to the Debian servers,
I decided to try to secure my systems better and, alas, not only
failed in the process but trashed my network as well.  The loopback
interface lo is down, unreachable (even as root) and ping fails.
Occasionally I get messages that only 1 address is allowed but I
cannot find the right files to clean this up.  The problems arose
after installing bastille, then removing it using

apt-get --purge remove bastille

Help much appreciated.

Lux
--
If you receive this by error, please delete it and inform the sender.
Key fingerprint: 8994 CFDD 9C60 C978 A488 689F 5DCC EFC4 4D36 580D