Re: loopback interface down, sob ;-(

I recently had something similar.  It turned out to be that I had two
versions of ifconfig installed.  One was in /sbin/ifconfig, the other in
/usr/bin/ifconfig.  The 'correct' ifconfig was the one in
/sbin/ifconfig.  It seems that I had installed the inetutils-tools
package which caused the bogus version in /usr/bin.  Removing the
package solved the problem.  The 'correct version of ifconfig was in the
net-tools package.

Are you able to bring up the loopback interface manually, ie:
ifconfig lo up 127.0.0.1

What does your /etc/network/interfaces look like?

Lou

* A. L. Meyers <me@privacy.net> [2003-12-14 07:19]: