Re: Grub problems

On Sat, 13 Dec 2003 21:58:25 -0600, Damon L. Chesser wrote:
> I blew up my grub with the debian installer, and it (the installer) does
> not rigth lilo to hda.  How do I repair my grub?  I know the drive
> lay-outs, I can load knoppix chroot and do a grub-floppy.  But with the
> floppy then what do I tell grub?  the home of the grub config file is
> hda6 (or hd0,5) /boot/grub.  I can not chroot and run grub-install.  The
> dev are all null!
>
> Anybody know how to make the installer write lilo to a floppy?

The command '/sbin/lilo -u' is supposed to put the mbr back like it was when
the installer found it.

I don't think the installer can be made to write lilo to a floppy.  I
usually have it write it to the partition - I think it is either the boot or
root partition - rather than the mbr.  That gives me a working
/etc/lilo.conf.  I create a boot floppy, because I always want one of those
even if I make a lilo floppy.  Then I boot and change the top line of
/etc/lilo.conf to 'boot=/dev/fd0' and put a new floppy in and run
/sbin/lilo.

Anita