Re: Linux is not for consumers!

"H. S." <greatexcalibur@yahoo.com> writes:

> I remember reading in the one of the man pages(I think it was mplayer,
> not sure but I could look it up, I think I still have that application
> somewhere) a while ago that "there are many other options. If want to
> know more about these, read the source." Now *that's* some
> documentation!  *LOL*

I think that sometimes this is legitimate especially if the
documentation is pretty good. My favourite quote is from the emacs
manual:

   "Help buffers describing variables or functions defined in Lisp
    normally have hyperlinks to the Lisp definition, if you have the
    Lisp source files installed.  If you know Lisp, this provides the
    ultimate documentation.  If you don't know Lisp, you should learn
    it.  If you are treating Emacs as an object file, then you are
    just _using_ Emacs.  For real intimacy with Emacs, you must read
    the source code."

Bijan
--
Bijan Soleymani <bijan@psq.com>