Re: HOW-TO get a USB mass storage device to work under Debian

Jonathan Melhuish wrote:
I Googled for some time and looked in the list archives, etc., but could find nothing relevant on installing my digital camera under Debian, so I got bored and tried typing:

apt-get install hotplug
apt-get install usbutils
mkdir /camera
mount /dev/sda1 /camera

At which point, it worked! I suppose I should mention I am using a stock "Linux debian 2.4.22-1-686" kernel, your mileage may vary with older kernels.

Which was all reasonably nice and straightforward, so I thought it was a shame I could find any instructions that suggested it. It was even easier under Mandrake, I just stuck it in and it appeared on the desktop; I guess it would be kinda nice if Debian did that, too.

Cheers,

Jon

Debian can.  You just need to install kudzu (I think) and autofs.  Of
course you need to configure them for your setup.

-Roberto