Re: HOW-TO get a USB mass storage device to work under Debian

Jonathan Melhuish wrote:
I Googled for some time and looked in the list archives, etc., but could find nothing relevant on installing my digital camera under Debian, so I got bored and tried typing:

apt-get install hotplug
apt-get install usbutils
mkdir /camera
mount /dev/sda1 /camera

At which point, it worked! I suppose I should mention I am using a stock "Linux debian 2.4.22-1-686" kernel, your mileage may vary with older kernels.

Which was all reasonably nice and straightforward, so I thought it was a shame I could find any instructions that suggested it. It was even easier under Mandrake, I just stuck it in and it appeared on the desktop; I guess it would be kinda nice if Debian did that, too.

Which camera are you talking about?

I have accessed two cameras in Debian: the Canon A300 successfully (using gphoto and gtkam), and Sony TRV25 minidv camcorder as a USB storage device.

With the second, I have a line in my /etc/fstab with which I just plug in the camera and type:
$> mount /sony-minidv

and that is it.

Here is what I have in /etc/fstab:
/dev/sda1       /sony-minidv   vfat noauto,user,rw      0    0

HTH,
->HS

--
(Remove all underscores,_if any_, from my email address to get the correct one. Apologies for the inconvenience, but this is to reduce spam.)