Re: ooh! debian jewelry

On Sat, Dec 13, 2003 at 02:36:10PM -0600, Terry Hancock wrote:
} On Saturday 13 December 2003 12:46 pm, Monique Y. Herman wrote:
} > On Fri, 12 Dec 2003 at 03:00 GMT, Greg Madden penned:
} > > http://debian.org/logos/
} > Ooh.  I was wondering where to find logos.
} >
} > Why eps as opposed to pdf or whatever?
[...]
} Furthermore, PDF isn't really an open data format, just a
} closed one that turned out to be easier to crack than .doc files.
} Adobe isn't any nicer about sharing their standards than
} Microsoft is.  The fact that we have good Linux readers for
} PDF has more to do with slow releases of new versions of
} the standard, and more widespread use (especially in the
} academic community), than with any intrinsic quality.  But
} the latest versions (5.x?) still don't seem to be accessible
} with open source tools.
}
} OTOH, postscript has been around for so long that it is definitely
} a well-understood standard (there are published manuals
} explaining the language in detail).  I'm not sure whether it was
} intended to be open or not, but it is in effect, at least.
}
} And that would probably be Debian's reason. ;-)

That is entirely FUD. PDF is no more nor less open than PostScript. Both
PostScript and PDF are industry standards developed, promoted, and
documented by Adobe. A Google search for "pdf specification" turns up the
Adobe PDF specification, available free from Adobe, within the first two
links. Similarly, a google search for "postscript language reference" turns
up the PostScript specification available free from Adobe as the first link.

} Cheers,
} Terry
--Greg