Re: ooh! debian jewelry

On Saturday 13 December 2003 12:46 pm, Monique Y. Herman wrote:
> On Fri, 12 Dec 2003 at 03:00 GMT, Greg Madden penned:
> > http://debian.org/logos/
> Ooh.  I was wondering where to find logos.
>
> Why eps as opposed to pdf or whatever?

Well, for one reason, postscript is an older and more widespread
standard in the printing field (whereas PDF is ostensibly only for
electronic distribution).  Any printshop running whatever OS on
their computers will have an easier time reading and handling
encapsulated postscript.

That would be the printshop's reason.

Furthermore, PDF isn't really an open data format, just a
closed one that turned out to be easier to crack than .doc files.
Adobe isn't any nicer about sharing their standards than
Microsoft is.  The fact that we have good Linux readers for
PDF has more to do with slow releases of new versions of
the standard, and more widespread use (especially in the
academic community), than with any intrinsic quality.  But
the latest versions (5.x?) still don't seem to be accessible
with open source tools.

OTOH, postscript has been around for so long that it is definitely
a well-understood standard (there are published manuals
explaining the language in detail).  I'm not sure whether it was
intended to be open or not, but it is in effect, at least.

And that would probably be Debian's reason. ;-)

Cheers,
Terry