Re: Workbone - With Volume Control - How To Install?

On 13 Dec 2003 at 19:39, Brian Potkin wrote:

> On Sat, Dec 13, 2003 at 02:18:09PM +0000, Brian Potkin wrote:
>
> >                                                   To mention several
> > packages: aumix is said to be a competent utility and mp3blaster
> > can play cd's and comes with nmixer;
>
> Before everyone rushes off to download mp3blaster to play a cd I wish
> own up to some unintentional misinformation.  mp3blaster is an mp3 and
> ogg player.  However, the package does include nmixer which does
control
> the sound card.

Too late, I already tried it.  :D  Not a bad little program, but two
things disqualify it for me.

1:  The afore-mentioned lack of audio CD support
2:  The apparent inability to handle compressed wav files 9see
soundamerica.com for an example of what I mean).  The majority of my
sound and music files are in that compressed format, and I really do not
feel like uncompressing them at this time.

Also, I could not get the Function-Key controls to work when running it
while logged in via a telnet or SSH session, (though switching the KV
switch over to that system and logging in directly allowed me to operate
the program normally).  I'm sure that problem is just a matter of
configuring my telnet client (PuTTY) properly.

I'll keep trying other players until I find just the right one.