Re: Workbone - With Volume Control - How To Install?

On 13 Dec 2003 at 2:09, Karsten M. Self wrote:

> Please set your mailer/editor linewrap to 68-75 characters.  I strongly
> recommend 72 as a good default.
>
> Thank you.

Done.  I thought I had done that a while back; then remembered that I had
switched my subscription over from my Yahoo account to my charter email
address, as my Yahoo mailbox kept filling up too fast...

> workbone is an _ancient_ CD player.  Most desktop environments have
> built-ins which integrate to their toolbars / docks, there's a gkrellm
> player, etc.  Unless you need a console/ncurses mode player, I'd go with
> one of these.

I'm currently working from the console, logged in via either telnet or SSH.
That way, I can easily copy and paste output from PuTTY into Pegasus Mail
messages.  I will eventually try out, I think it's called VNC?, for
having a remote X desktop.  But that is pretty fr down on my checklist of
objectives for this system at the moment.

> There's also cdtool, which is a commandline interface to CD playing.

I gave cdtool a try, after someone in IRC suggested it last night, but I
could not get the cdvolume command to work.  I kept getting an error to
the effect of IOCTL Failed, or something like that.

> 'workbone' _is_ the executable.  Try running it.

I tried running it from my home directory, which is where the file still
was, and it didn't work.  This is the error that I got...

/usr/bin/workbone: No such file or directory

I also copied it into /usr/bin and tried again to run it, and still got
the same error.

So, I'm not going to push this issue any further.  Like someone else
pointed out in another response in this thread, there are other console-
based CD players that I can try.  I will just keep trying others until I
get one that works, and that I am comfortable with.