Re: Workbone - With Volume Control - How To Install?

Please set your mailer/editor linewrap to 68-75 characters.  I strongly
recommend 72 as a good default.

Thank you.

on Sat, Dec 13, 2003 at 01:24:46AM -0800, Scarletdown (gsutton9503@charter.net) wrote:
> i just tried out the workbone CD player that is installable via
> apt-get.  It's a decent console- based player, except for one problem.
> It has no volume control.

workbone is an _ancient_ CD player.  Most desktop environments have
built-ins which integrate to their toolbars / docks, there's a gkrellm
player, etc.  Unless you need a console/ncurses mode player, I'd go with
one of these.

There's also cdtool, which is a commandline interface to CD playing.

I suspect workbone may require a separate mixer/volume control.

> Anyway, I did a bit of snooping around and came across this:
>
> http://www.eleves.ens.fr/home/derouler/info/workbone/index.html.en
>
> That is the same player, but with the + and - keys set to provide
> volume control.
>
> I downloaded it and uncompressed it, but now, how do I actually
> install it?
>
> The files that are now sitting in my home directory after
> uncompressing the tgz file are:
>
> hardware.c
> workbone
> workbone.h
> struct.h
> workbone.c
>
> So, what does I have to do with these to get a working player?  The
> site the tgz file was downloaded from has no instructions on how to
> install this.

Compile them.  Usually:

    $ make; make install

...where the latter needs to be run as root or staff.  If there's no
Makefile, read the sources, or look at what type(s) of files you have
(hint:  'man file').

'workbone' _is_ the executable.  Try running it.

...though YMMV.

Peace.