Re: Linux is not for consumers!

On Thu, Dec 11, 2003 at 01:26:39PM +0200, David Baron wrote:
> Problems persist and have gotten nowhere!
> 1. Connecting ADSL -- edited everything including ppp_on_boot, dsl_provider,
> 2. Running Java stuff--Open office works. I installed netbeans (a Java
> 3. The Adobe Acrobat reader looks gosh-awful. Like Windows 2! I have a
> 4. Oldie-but-goody hardware which I really would like to use:
> USB -- have a roland MIDI device on this, correctly detected but not shown
> dman2044 audio interface -- PCI, IRQ11--the linux detects that as an AGOSP
> Davicom32 Fax modem -- ISA, detected. Fairly standard and NOT a "win" modem

You seem to have lots of initial installation problems.

Unfortunately, current Debian is not the best Linux for this initial
problem and it root cause: auto hardware detection.

Try commercial Debian based distros or Knopix, or even Readhat or
Mandrake.  Once you are comfortable with them, you can always come back
to Debian.

Debian gives you smooth upgrade and maintainance.  Debian respect site
admin and will never overwrite your configuration.

And you should be able to use configuration generated under different
distro.  After all, all of these are GNU/Linux.

I have been through:

slackware -> slackware based JP -> Debian (could not work with it)
  --> Redhat -> Mandrake -> Debian

Oh, you may still want to check documents in DDP before giving up on
Debian.

   http://www.debian.org/doc
   http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/reference  (I wrote it)

Osamu