Re: installmanual

Joseph MICHEL wrote:

Hello,
I would like to install debian. But when I read the installation manual http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/installmanual, I feel lost because it addresses expert people. Please, is there an automated installation program like that of Red Hat ?

Because Debian runs on so many different architectures, and can be installed in so many different ways, and is designed to be installed according to the design specs of the computer administrator rather than according to what some corporate boss thinks should be the design, the short answer is that there is no "easy" installation of pure Debian.

Assuming you're installing on i386 hardware (Pentium, AMD, etc) and want a "desktop workstation" type of setup, what you really want is a "subset" of Debian, such as Libranet (http://www.libranet.com/), Xandros (http://www.xandros.com/), or even Knoppix (http://www.knoppix.net) or Lindows (http://www.lindows.com/).

If you want a "pure Debian" system, the harsh reality is that you'll either have to study/learn enough to become one of those "expert people", or get one of those "expert people" to help you out. When I started out with Debian, I knew nothing about any operating systems other than Windows and a smattering of Macintosh (pre OS/X), yet I wanted Debian, and stuck with the learning curve, and now I love Debian. I know other folks have done likewise. I say this to say that it _is_ possible, if you're willing to try and to stick with it.

But if all you want is an "easy install", then like I say, you probably want to shell out a few bucks for a commercial version such as Libranet or Xandros. On the other hand, if you want to try pure Debian but are scared of the official installation instructions, you can probably google for installation instructions other than the official instructions and get a different perspective, perhaps from people who started out at the same level which you now are. For example:
   http://wave.prohosting.com/qlair/linux/install-log.htm
   http://www.darknet.org.uk/content/how_to_install_debian_3.0.html
http://kom.auc.dk/net/guides/debian-install.html (for an old version of Debian) http://www.freenet.org.nz/misc/knoppix-install.html (for installing Knoppix to the hard drive)
etc.

Or you can go to www.walmart.com and order a Lindows PC. Again, that's not pure Debian, but it'll let you get your feet wet, and you'll learn, and by this time next year you'll be doing Debian installs for all your friends.

--
Kent