Re: Can't get jabber to start on installation

On Fri, Dec 12, 2003 at 01:59:27PM -0800, Doctorcam wrote:
> * Jamin W. Collins (jcollins@asgardsrealm.net) wrote:
> > On Fri, Dec 12, 2003 at 03:02:24AM -0800, Doctorcam wrote:
> > > I have managed to get jabber installed, and running it from the command
> > > line seems to work fine, following the instructions in the 1.4.x
> > > administration guide.
> >
> > Which user did you run it as?
> >
> Thank you for your quick response.
>
> In between my question and your response, I tried something else:
> purged jabber and the other transports and started again.  I think the
> problem was that I had installed a number of other things at the same
> time, and that interfered.  Even when the other packages were
> installed and configured, it wouldn't budge.  So it is now working
> OK.  Sort of.  Two problems emerge.
>
> (1)	When I tried to log on from my Mac laptop, I got as far as the
> 'reg1' request, to which I got no response.

Are you manually sending the XML?  Have you tried using a Jabber client
to register with the server?  Did you set the host name of the server?

> /var/log/jabber/error.log has an entry citing 'Invalid entry', but the
> appropriate file appeared in /var/lib/jabber/... Interestingly, it
> included the information that would have been sent to the Mac (in
> response to the request), though the comparable record from logging
> onto the server machine did not.

Never seen anything like this.

> (2) I have tried to set up AIM, following the Debian instructions, but
>     the logon using gaim hangs.  The progress bar immediately goes to
>     half-way and sits there.

I've never used gaim, all testing has been done using Psi as the Jabber
client.  I do have the AIM transport installed and working here using
the instructions in the package.

>     I notice that in jabber.xml, the
>     formatting of the transports is different from the Debian
>     instructions, but being a True Believer (TM) :-) I did as I was
>     told, commenting out the existing entries.

The existing entries should have already been commented out.

> The aim transport uses <ip>127.0.0.1</ip>.  Should it be this way, or
> do I put in my current (dynamic, but listed on dyndns) ip number?

Provided the aim transport is running on the same host as the Jabber
server, yes.  The jabber-aim package is configured to create a seperate
instance of jabber that runs only the AIM transport.  This seperate
instance then connects to your main Jabber process and provides the AIM
functionality.  So, the main jabber.xml has to be configured to listen
for and accept connection from an external process.  The instructions
for this are provided in the jabber-aim package's documentation.

If you'd like, I could take a look at your configuration file (just
e-mail it to me privately).

--
Jamin W. Collins