Re: Can't get jabber to start on installation

* Jamin W. Collins (jcollins@asgardsrealm.net) wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 12, 2003 at 03:02:24AM -0800, Doctorcam wrote:
> > I have managed to get jabber installed, and running it from the command
> > line seems to work fine, following the instructions in the 1.4.x
> > administration guide.
>
> Which user did you run it as?

Thank you for your quick response.

In between my question and your response, I tried something else:
purged jabber and the other transports and started again.  I think the
problem was that I had installed a number of other things at the same
time, and that interfered.  Even when the other packages were
installed and configured, it wouldn't budge.  So it is now working
OK.  Sort of.  Two problems emerge.

(1)	When I tried to log on from my Mac laptop, I got as far as the
'reg1' request, to which I got no response.  /var/log/jabber/error.log
has an entry citing 'Invalid entry', but the appropriate file appeared in
/var/lib/jabber/... Interestingly, it included the information that
would have been sent to the Mac (in response to the request), though
the comparable record from logging onto the server machine did not.

(2) I have tried to set up AIM, following the Debian instructions, but
    the logon using gaim hangs.  The progress bar immediately goes to
    half-way and sits there.  I notice that in jabber.xml, the
    formatting of the transports is different from the Debian
    instructions, but being a True Believer (TM) :-) I did as I was
    told, commenting out the existing entries.  I had done it all the
    other way, with the same result.

The aim transport uses <ip>127.0.0.1</ip>.  Should it be this way, or
do I put in my current (dynamic, but listed on dyndns) ip number?

Thanks again

Cam