Re: How to read package change logs before install

on Fri, Dec 12, 2003 at 09:53:02AM -0500, Lou Losee (llosee@hvc.rr.com) wrote:
> Ok - another elementary (I hope) apt question:
>
> 1)Is there any way to read the change-log associated with a package
> without either downloading the package or installing the package?

    apt-get install apt-listchanges

I'd also recommend apt-listbugs.  Though it's currently broken as it's
wont to be.

Both tools will query and report to stdout, as well as mail root
afterwards, system updates, prior to committing installation (you're
prompted after they display).

> Typically to see the change log, readme, etc, I download the package and
> install it and if it isn't correct then remove it.  Alternatively, I use
> APT-listchanges to see the change log before actually installing, but
> saying no at that point forces the cancellation of all installs not just
> the one I don't want after reading the changes.

You can also browse DEBs through a number of graphical/console shell
browsers including mc, Konqueror, and Nautilus.  You still need 'em
downloaded, but not installed.

Peace.

   NPR:  Radio for between the ears:  http://www.npr.org/