Use Debian mailinglists with slow connection to Internet?

Hi!

The Debian mailing lists produce big trafic of email.  If I want to
follow them regularly I have to use a slow and expensive connection to
Internet (low quality phone line or mobile phone).  I tried to use
offlineimap but this was only to realise that I can afford it.  May be
other people have symilar problems (mobile computers, etc.).

Certainly I am not interested in every message.  May be there is some
way to control which messages will be copied from the server to the
computer I use?  Is the following scenario possible somehow: First, I
connect to Internet in order to get automaticaly the first messages
from each thread.  Then read the received messages offline.  Next by
some "subscription" mechanism I connect again and receive all messages
from threads I have selected.

I can install software both on my computer and on the server I use.
It would be nice however to find a solution that will not require to
install anything on the server.

Thanks, Anton Zinoviev