Re: yet another NVIDIA problem (4496)

Paul Johnson wrote:

On Wed, Dec 10, 2003 at 03:24:14PM +0200, Haim Ashkenazi wrote:
I've just bought a new GeForce 5600 (Gainward Ultra 780 TV/DVI) and for that
occasion I've upgraded my nvidia drivers to 4496-10. after upgrading, X
wouldn't start (error loading 'nvidia') unless I modprobe 'nvidia'
manually, and then it loads, but with an error:

I've googled for it but only found some kernel mailing list entries which I
didn't understand. as a workaround I've added nvidia to '/etc/modules' but
I was wondering if this problem can be solved.

nVidia has actively demonstrated they don't care.
Go return that video card and exchange it for an ATI Radeon, for which
there are better drivers, as well as open source drivers for the
Radeon that Just Work, and work way better than nVidia's proprietary
hack.

I use the NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-4496-pkg2.run installer from NVidea and
just had to execute their instructions, by the letter and everything runs OK.

Paul, I don't have a personal experience with ATI Radeon video cards on
Linux, but I have been reading a lot of mails from peopple having problems
with it - this doesn't seem such a linear issue...

John