yet another NVIDIA problem (4496)

Hi

I've just bought a new GeForce 5600 (Gainward Ultra 780 TV/DVI) and for that
occasion I've upgraded my nvidia drivers to 4496-10. after upgrading, X
wouldn't start (error loading 'nvidia') unless I modprobe 'nvidia'
manually, and then it loads, but with an error:

devfs_register(nvidiactl): could not append to parent, err: -17
devfs_register(nvidia0): could not append to parent, err: -17

I've googled for it but only found some kernel mailing list entries which I
didn't understand. as a workaround I've added nvidia to '/etc/modules' but
I was wondering if this problem can be solved.

kernel: 2.4.21

thanx
--
Haim