documentation Re: Linux is not for consumers!

On Fri, 12 Dec 2003, Wendell Cochran wrote:

> This thread concerns both (a) proper documentation of programs -- &
> also (b) translation into clear English for the notional Aunt Tilly.
>
> That suggests need for a list on finding the right words & putting
> them in the right order, but even Debian has limits.

manuals is NOT an issue for "aunt tilly"

most "aunt tilly" i know, have not read or even gonna bother reading
the manual ... where o where do i start in the manuals .... i know,
i'll invite wendell to dinner :-) he'll fix it !!

	( windows look-n-feel is assumed --> kde/gnome + openoffice )

	they just want to know ...
	- why does it not print anymore ??
	- why does it not send/receive emails anymore ??
	- why does it not boot anymore ??
	( i just hit the power switch yesterday cause i was in a hurry )
	- ooops.. i erased a file i didnt mean to ... help... now please..

	all else is non-issue for the majority of "aunt tilly's" world

	they are not gonna look up the "manuals" for
	is it a bash problem, is it a printcap problem is it
	a power cord problem, is it a "i forgot the caps lock problem"
	vs not caring about it is a glibc or zlib problem
	or that ssh has a exploit or the kernel has an exploit

	- it simply gotta work .. flawlessly for months and months
	that approaches a year... than you have a happy convert
	and much much more willing to go the next step and do
	periodic updates ...

		-- changing her box daily with apt-get is just
		gonna confuse um

		-- they dont even run window-update daily now
		which it too can be automated ... but they dont

		-- updates is NOT an issue for them.. even if it
		should be

	- if you have to do updates .. at least do it from "stable"
	and do tell them ... "its all 100% automated like the other big
	boyz in washington"

	- non techies do NOT like a moving/crashing target ...
		- they just want it to work

- guess you can add more things for the braver folks
	- i want to play/burn my dvds
	- i want to record "lucy" on the tv and play it when i want
	- i want to use it as my "home office" email for
		jane@aunt-tilly.com and have  http://www.aunt-tilly.com

- all else is again non-issue for them ... until the machine crashes
  for one reason or another and hopefully not due to a cracker
  or little joe/sally that happens to sneak online and play and broke
  it by mistake

c ya
alvin