Re: configuring jabber conferences (was: Re: jabber)

On Thu, Dec 11, 2003 at 06:34:27PM -0500, Paul Smith wrote:
> Sorry to hijack this thread, but I've searched high and low and I can't
> find what I'm looking for.
>
> So, I set up a Jabber server on my Debian box and it's all good.  I put
> in mu-conference in there, and that's good too.
>
> Now, how do I create rooms?!?!  Using GAIM I can create a temporary
> room, but I want to create permanent rooms.
>
> From the MU-C web site I painstakingly translated and entered the
> appropriate XML to create a single permanent room and it does work
> (although I haven't been able to change some of the details like the
> join/leave banners, etc.)
>

> But surely, SURELY there must be some kind of user interface somewhere
> for managing Jabber servers and performing this kind of operation that
> doesn't involve typing raw XML into a telnet session!!

The MUC upstream source includes two scripts that can help with this:

   roomname.pl:    Takes a list of jids and returns the sha1 hash. Used
                   as the room filename for the spool
   roommaker.pl:   Allows you to create predefined persistent rooms
                   without first starting the service

These are not currently included with the package.  I will add them to
the documentation area of the next udpate, or if there's enough interest
I could put them in a jabber-muc-util package.

The author talks a bit about these here:

   http://mailman.jabber.org/pipermail/jadmin/2003-February/008996.html

> I've looked all over the jabber site and other sites, mailing list
> archives, etc. and I can't find anything!  What's the deal?  How do you
> all manage this stuff on your servers?

I don't use conferencing very often, and when I have it's been a dynamic
room on my server.

--
Jamin W. Collins

Remember, root always has a loaded gun.  Don't run around with it unless
you absolutely need it. -- Vineet Kumar