configuring jabber conferences (was: Re: jabber)

Sorry to hijack this thread, but I've searched high and low and I can't
find what I'm looking for.

So, I set up a Jabber server on my Debian box and it's all good.  I put
in mu-conference in there, and that's good too.

Now, how do I create rooms?!?!  Using GAIM I can create a temporary
room, but I want to create permanent rooms.

>From the MU-C web site I painstakingly translated and entered the
appropriate XML to create a single permanent room and it does work
(although I haven't been able to change some of the details like the
join/leave banners, etc.)

But surely, SURELY there must be some kind of user interface somewhere
for managing Jabber servers and performing this kind of operation that
doesn't involve typing raw XML into a telnet session!!  I mean using a
standard like XML to manage your server is all well and good but mainly,
I have to believe, it's good for making it simpler to write
user-friendly tools and avoid worrying about the backend.

I've looked all over the jabber site and other sites, mailing list
archives, etc. and I can't find anything!  What's the deal?  How do you
all manage this stuff on your servers?

 Paul D. Smith <psmith@nortelnetworks.com>   HASMAT--HA Software Mthds & Tools