Re: Bootup Freezes

On Thu, 11 Dec 2003 at 19:11 GMT, Thomas H. George penned:

>> You might try booting a few times from a Knoppix CD, just to
>> eliminate hardware problems.
>>
>> I started having similar problems a few weeks ago. I finally tried
>> Knoppix, and found it froze the box also, and after some more
>> diagnosis (including swapping out the processor) came to the
>> conclusion that my mobo had turned south on me. But for quite a while
>> I thought it was software-related; it "felt" software-related.
>>
>> -- Kent
>>
> Interesting.  Looking back in my log book I find I installed a new
> motherboard and cpu (Albatron KX400-8XV and Athlon XP2000) on Nov. 7th
> and kernel-source-0.6.0-test9 on Nov. 9th.   Installed
> module-init-install on Nov. 11th as this was needed to load the ehci
> module.  The first note of a boot up problem was on Nov. 12th.
>
> Could there be a motherboard problem?  I have used Albatron KX400
> series motherboards in other computers with no problems but,
> interestingly, I recall seeing a message regarding an unknown
> southbridge when booting up from the bbc-2.1 cd.
>
> Tom

It could be.  I would go ahead and try the above suggestion of running
Knoppix on it for a few days.  If that stays stable, then it's probably
the kernel.  There's a reason that the 2.6 line of kernels is still
called "test".  If you want solid performance, you should stick to 2.4.

(You meant 2.6, not 0.6, right?)

--
monique