Re: Linux is not for consumers!

s. keeling wrote:
Incoming from Richard Kimber:

On Thu, 11 Dec 2003 12:07:23 -0600
"Michael Martinell" <mike@dakotasioux.com> wrote:

That's why the people doing the documentation should be the power-user
who is not familiar with every intricate detail, and has had to struggle
and learn the system.  That is the person who can usually explain things
in a

This sounds like an excuse for programmers not to document their programs.

Programmers need no excuse for this.  They know how it works.  If you
think it needs documentation, go ahead and write it.

But I feel strongly that to overcome the original point in the thread,
many app developers need to give more attention to the documentation, and
indeed the user interface, and a little less to adding that "nice new
exciting" (and undocumented) feature.

Note the smiley: Go to hell! :-)

If I were being paid to do this kind of thing, my boss might have a
more convincing argument as to why I should document my work.
However, for something I'm giving away for nothing, there's no such
obligation that I can see.

Go join the LDP and fix this apparent deficiency yourself if you think
it's a problem.

I'm sorry but you are way off base.  A lawyer that does pro bono work,
or a doctor that volunteers at a public clinic, is not absolved of
maintaining proper documentation (case files or medical charts).  We
(software developers) are (or at least should be considered)
professionals.  I would think that if you are just going to half-ass
the job the community would be better off without your "efforts."

-Roberto