newbie: more startup problems

Earlier I have written about not being able to find the agpgart module [I can't start X]

I have been trying to enable web access to update apt, etc.

I have tried two ways: wvdial and pon

Both seem to connect to my ISP and establish ppp, but
none of the programs I run are able to communicate with the outside.

I have tried to ping by name [my ISP's domain] and by numerical address [the DNServers] No responses. The only response is for localhost. I have tried to do this logged in as root, and have tried in separate terminal windows and [with pon] in the same terminal window.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.