Re: Sound issues-no sound from cd players

On Wed, Dec 10, 2003 at 10:00:01PM -0600, tripolar wrote:
| Thanks
| hooked up the cdrom drive to soundcard.
| now enjoying "Tool" cd :-)
| In the past( I think) I have listened to cd's without that cable.
| any idea how that worked?

Some cd player software simply sends commands to the drive to play the
cd.  This requires the drive's audio-out to be connected to the sound
card's audio-in.

The other option is for the software to extract the data from the cd,
process it, and write it out to the sound card.  This does not require
a direct audio connected between the two.  It also requires more
complex software processing, and as a result more CPU and bus
bandwidth to play.

--
One man gives freely, yet gains even more;
another withholds unduly, but comes to poverty.