epson stylus c84 problems

Hi,

Has anyone been able to get the epson stylus c84 printer working
with debian?  I've tried it with both usb and parallel port with
no luck.

When I power the printer on the following shows up in /var/log/messages:

Dec 10 20:40:14 quietstorm kernel: printer.c: usblp0: USB Bidirectional printer dev 3 if 0 alt 0 proto 2 vid 0x04B8 pid 0x0005

so it appears that it is at least being recognized by the usb system.
I've tried apsconfig and tried to write my own printcap entry, but
nothing seems to work.  Has anyone had any luck with this printer?

thanks
_t