Re: Compiling a kernel without making a .deb package.

Monique Y. Herman wrote:

On Wed, 10 Dec 2003 at 16:02 GMT, John Foster penned:
Joseph Jones wrote:

I can compile a kernel into a .deb package as described in the
newbiedoc, but I need to compile a kernel with drivers for my
laptop's NIC so I can make a rescue disc to do a network install
from. Could anyone advise me as to how I do this, if possible in
relation to the instructions in the newbiedoc?

Thanks :)

Joe

___________________________________________________________ Download a
kernel tarball from http:// www.kernel.org  & open it into a directory
on the compiling system /usr/src/linux ; make sure you have the
correct modutils installed for the kernel version being compiled.Read
and follow exactly the instructions contained in the tarball for
compiling the kernel. Depending on your hardware requirement, this may
be easy ....or not:-)

John Foster

You can compile debian's kernel without turning it into a .deb.

This is what I do (because it's what I've always done and I'm too lazy
to change).  Note: it does *not* use initrd!

dselect #get latest kernel src package
cd /usr/src/kernel-source-<version>
make mrproper #clean any leftover compile stuff
make xconfig
make dep
make bzImage
make modules
make install #puts System.map, vmlinuz, config in /boot; moves last
            #version to blah.old
make modules_install
vi lilo.conf
lilo
reboot

That sounds like what I want to do (I tried the methods in the how-to as suggested by Paul Johnson, but my system didn't seem to do anything for hours... no errors, nothing in the prompt... na-da, when I can usually compile a kernel in a .deb within minutes) apart from I need initrd in the kernel to make a rescue disc :(

Anyone have any other suggestions?

Joe