troubles with tar, compression and cron

Hi,

I wrote a script which uses tar to backup a filesystem to a Seagate DAT.
If I run the script from the shell it works fine, but when started by cron
(as root) I get this:

tar (grandchild): gzip: Cannot exec: No such file or directory
tar (grandchild): Error is not recoverable: exiting now
/dev/nst0: Device or resource busy

The command which causes this error is 'tar -czf /dev/nst0 ...'. The same
error happenes if I use bzip2 (tar -j). Not using compression at all solves
the problem, but I'd really like to store the data compressed...

Any hints?

TIA, Jukka

--
bashian roulette: