Re: Remastering a Debian Woody CD

On Wed, 10 Dec 2003 03:42, Ray wrote:
> On Tuesday 09 December 2003 10:16, bob parker wrote:
> > >
> > > It seems the jigdo files are not updated at the time being. The
> > > images are dated 19-Dec-2002 for r1. May be they are working on
> > > it.
> >
> > Indeed they are, the jigdos and templates are downloadable from:
> > http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/jigdo/3.0_r2/
> > After the download, if you have r1 or r2 on disc as an iso mount
> > the iso on the loopback device as /mnt and give that to jigdo-lite
> > in the files section. Otherwise if you have the images on cdrom
> > mount the /cdrom? and give it that.
> >
> > Also if you've been keeping your installation updated via apt input
> > this line to jigdo-lite, in the files section, as well:
> > /var/cache/apt/archives/
> >
> > As it happens, I'm downloading NONUS for i386 as I write this, and
> > only 40 odd files need to downloaded out of 1600 or so. YMMV
> > depending what you have installed of course.
> >
> > HTH
> > Bob Parker
>
> is anything being attempted to use p2p with distribution?  something
> like bittorrent could be helpful for cd upgrading after jigdo pulls
> out the old files that are the same for the new iso, bt can then p2p
> share the old while downloading the new rather then hitting ftp
> mirrors.  and i know more people that run p2p on broadband then
> people who can donate reliable ftp server space. just a random
> thought.

Both jigdo and bittorrent take the load off the servers but AFAIK you still
have the total download to do yourself if you using bt.

So for me, on dialup bt is really out of the question. With bt there are
other potential problems if you have to pay for upload. Here in dotAU our
local PC magazine reported the story of a subscriber to Bigpond broadband,
cable I think, who got a bill for $8,000 or $10,000 because she left a p2p
link running unattended after the download was complete.

But jigdo for the NONUS iso requires only 40/1600 files to actually download
with a starting point of _r1 iso and an uptodate system. The overhead for
NONUS is about 28 megs.

Bob Parker