Re: Info Problem

hendrik writes:
> I don't know what jurisdiction he was in, but in the United States I'm
> told that copyright reverts to the widow upon an author's death, to such
> an extent that she can renegotiate all publication contracts!

No.  Copyrights are heritable property and contracts are binding on the
estate.  You can leave all your copyrights to the FSF in your will as I
have done.

You are thinking of the "right of reversion" under which ownership of a
copyright reverts to the author (or his estate) after 35 years regardless
of any contractual provisions to the contrary.

> I wonder what that would do to copylefted stuff...

I don't think it has any effect at all.  I believe it only affects
transfers, not licenses.
--
John Hasler
john@dhh.gt.org (John Hasler)