Re: Info Problem

On Mon, Dec 08, 2003 at 04:58:26PM -0800, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> on Mon, Dec 08, 2003 at 10:59:01PM +0000, Colin Watson (cjwatson@debian.org) wrote:
> > On Fri, Dec 05, 2003 at 08:33:22AM -0800, Karsten M. Self wrote:
>
> > > As does DocBook and man.  Deprecating man in favor of Info is _not_
> > > acceptable.  Period.  Nor does it meet Debian policy.
> >
> > The latter isn't an argument, I'd note, more an observation of fact.
> > The rest of the world doesn't have to follow Debian policy, and we can
> > change it if we think it's a good idea to do so. (Not that I think
> > that in this case, as 'apt-cache show man-db' should indicate.)
>
> ;-)
>

> > > I've spoken to Brad Kuhn about this specifically.
> >
> > ISTR speaking to him about it once myself, but can't remember the
> > outcome. Did you get anywhere?
>
> Well, for values of "anywhere" equalling "take it up with Richard", yes.
> But no specific movement.  Among the reasons for polishing my man vs.
> info debate was preparation for a formal proposal.  Which still hasn't
> happened.  But could.  Think it's worth a try?
>

> > The GNU project's attitude to man pages is one of the reasons why I
> > decided that man-db should not be a GNU package, the other being that
> > copyright assignments would be a headache since one of the former
> > maintainers is dead.
>
> Yes, but dead men contest no bug reports ;-)
>
> On a more practical note:  copyright would pass to the estate and heirs.
> It's possible (not necessarially easy) to get assignments in this case.

It may depend on how they are approached.  presenting it as something he
did for the good of all that will live on might work...  On the other hand,
I get the idea that you do *not* want copyright assigned to GNU, so maybe
you're right.  Maybe it's better to list things lie.  On the other hand,
getting the things he wrote declared to be in the public domain might be
OK.  I don't know what jurisdiction he was in, but in the United States
I'm told that copyright reverts to the widow upon an author's death, to
such an extent that she can renegotiate all publication contracts!  I
wonder what that would do to copylefted stuff...

-- hendrik