Re: File system error (power outage)

On Tue, 2003-12-09 at 14:55, Francisco Castellon wrote:
> Hello:
>
> sometime last night my power must have gone off and back on again, I
> came to my computer today in the morning to find it saying:
>
> /dev/hda3: UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY; run fsck manually
>              (i.e., without -a or -p options)
>
> fsck failed. Please repair manually and reboot. Please note that the
> root file system is currently mounted read only. To remount it
> read-write:
>
> # mount -n -o remount, rw /
>
> CONTROL -D will exit from this shell and reboot the system.
>

> So what am I supposed to do now?

What it says: repair the disk manually and reboot.  This does not mean
reinstalling Debian.

  fsck -y /dev/hda3

should fix almost everything (-y means answer yes to all questions,
which you ought to do).  Afterwards, look in {partition}/lost+found for
any disconnected files that fsck may have recovered.

>  I really dont have any critical
> information in the computer and I wouldn't mind reinstalling again,
> however there are about 5 files that I would like to keep. What exactly
> am I supposed to do with "e2fsck"? what command should I run? is it
> possible to fix this and not have to reinstall? I ran the command:
> "mount -n -o remount, rw /" and then I got this message:
>
> warning: mounting unchecked fs, running e2fsck is recommended.
>
> so then I ran "e2fsck /" and I got this message:
>
> WARNING!!! running e2fsck on a mounted filesystem may cause SEVERE
> filesystem damage.
> do you want to continue [y/n]:
>

> So I typed no for now. what should I do at this point? what commands can
> I run? I would appreciatte any help you can give me. Thanx!

You go ahead any way.  You're in single user mode and no other processes
are going to be changing the partition.

     "Let not sin therefore reign in your mortal body, that
      ye should obey it in the lusts thereof."
                                   Romans 6:12