Re: Spamassain question, whitelist?

On Mon, Dec 08, 2003 at 04:51:49PM -0800, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> on Mon, Dec 08, 2003 at 10:47:39AM -0500, stan (stanb@panix.com) wrote:
> > >
> > > If you enable auto-whitelisting, you don't have to do anything.
> > >
> > > Otherwise, man spamassassin will give you what you're looking for.
> > >

> > Thanks, so I should just add the -a flag to where procmail invokes it, like
> > this:
> >
> > :0fw: spamassassin.lock
> > * < 256000
> > | spamassassin -a
> >
> > Correct?
>
> Technically.  But slow.
>
> I'd recommend running spamc, using spamassassin in client/server mode.
> This cuts the rougly one-second overhead per message of spamassasin's
> startup.
>
> In /etc/defaults/spamassassin:
>
>     OPTIONS="--local --max-children 10 --create-prefs --auto-whitelist"
>
> ...is what I've selected.  You're advised to read docs to understand
> what this does.

OK, I'm convinced this is a godd idea, and I;ve looked at the
/etc/defaults/spamassain file, and I think I now what options I want there.
That leaves me with 2 questiosn.

1. What do I need to have im my .procmailrc file to use spamc, instead of
callng spamassain directly?

2. Once I chane /etc/defaults/spamassain, short of rebooting the machine,
how can I get spamc to sstart as a daaemon?

neither liberty nor safety."
						-- Benjamin Franklin