Re: who calls /ETC/MODULES

On Tue, Dec 09, 2003 at 04:58:59AM -0800, Sebastia Altemir wrote:
> Here comes the problem : there is no link to MODUTILS in any "/etc/rcN.d".
> The /etc/rc2.d (where network starting should happen) has :

Who says that network startup should happen in run-level 2 only?  Debian
starts the network long before the switch to run-level 2 occurs.

rei $ ls /etc/rcS.d
README              S30checkfs.sh     S40networking         S70screen-cleanup
S05bootlogd         S30etc-setserial  S45mountnfs.sh        S70xfree86-common
S05keymap.sh        S30procps.sh      S46setserial          S75sudo
S10checkroot.sh     S35devpts.sh      S48console-screen.sh  S85nethack
S18hwclockfirst.sh  S35mountall.sh    S50hwclock.sh         S99emu10k1
S20drivesetup       S36hotplug        S55bootmisc.sh        S99lmsensors
S20modutils         S39ifupdown       S55urandom
S25raid2            S40hostname.sh    S70nviboot

Don't know about you, but *I* certainly see

S35mountall.sh
S36hotplug
S39ifupdown
S40hostname.sh
S40networking
S45mountnfs.sh

as all part of the networking infrastructure.

> I am having a look into "kerneld" right now ...

I don't know why you'd need to bother.  Andreas told you quite plainly when
and where these modules get loaded:

> Andreas Janssen  said :
> > Modules from /etc/modules are loaded by /etc/init.d/modutils. During
> > boot, it is executed through the symlink /etc/rcS.d/S20modutils.

So why don't you look at /etc/init.d/modutils, which is linked into
/etc/rcS.d ?

--
 Marc Wilson |     Welcome to Utah.  If you think our liquor laws are
 msw@cox.net |     funny, you should see our underwear!