Re: Spamassain question, whitelist?

on Mon, Dec 08, 2003 at 10:47:39AM -0500, stan (stanb@panix.com) wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 08, 2003 at 07:19:18AM -0800, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> > on Mon, Dec 08, 2003 at 10:12:05AM -0500, stan (stanb@panix.com) wrote:
> > > I'm setting up Spamassain, and I can't seem to find out how to create a
> > > whitelist for it.
> >
> > If you enable auto-whitelisting, you don't have to do anything.
> >
> > Otherwise, man spamassassin will give you what you're looking for.
> >

> Thanks, so I should just add the -a flag to where procmail invokes it, like
> this:
>
> :0fw: spamassassin.lock
> * < 256000
> | spamassassin -a
>
> Correct?

Technically.  But slow.

I'd recommend running spamc, using spamassassin in client/server mode.
This cuts the rougly one-second overhead per message of spamassasin's
startup.

In /etc/defaults/spamassassin:

    OPTIONS="--local --max-children 10 --create-prefs --auto-whitelist"

...is what I've selected.  You're advised to read docs to understand
what this does.

For performance reasons, I also have in /etc/security/limits:

    mail            hard    nproc           30

...to avoid runaway conditions when large mail loads hit.  Mail
processing will be limited to a max of 30 processes (generally 10 exim
processes, 10 spamassassin clients, and a bit of overhead), but the
system as a whole won't be bogged.

Peace.

   Spread the real scoop on Xenu and The Church of Scientology, link