Something broke MatLab

Something in the past few days broke MatLab on my sid box. (Perhaps it was
something I dist-upgraded - anybody have any ideas?)

Previously, whatever way I wanted to launch matlab it behaved the same.

Now, if I try to launch MatLab from the Enlightement Menu or from XRun run
from the Enlightenment Menu, or from AcidLaunch (which is started directly
by my .xsession), Matlab displays the splash screen, then starts up as
though it were given the -nodesktop option (as though it can interact with
a user through my ~/.xsession-errors file)

If I launch matlab from an xterm (no matter how that Xterm was launched)
matlab will start up with the full graphical desktop.

Any ideas? (I already tried reinstalling Matlab)

I'm using Matlab 6.0.0.88 (Matlab R12 student) because its copy protection
is less atrocious than Matlab R13.