Re: Cheap PC / unknown components. ALDI/Medion MD 8080 XL anyone?

on Fri, Dec 05, 2003 at 11:45:25PM +0100, Mariano Kamp (mkamp@gmx.de) wrote:
> On Friday 05 December 2003 23:22, Paul E Condon wrote:
> > On Fri, Dec 05, 2003 at 11:07:24PM +0100, Mariano Kamp wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > >   I bought one of the "cheap" PCs from a german discounter. I am
> > > wondering if anybody has been able to install Debian on it? Any pointers
> > > would be nice.
> > >
> > >   www.linux-hardware.de wasn't helpful.
> > >
> > >   Allmost all the components are unknown  when looking at the /proc/pci
> > > output. This is interesting, because I believe they used "brand"
> > > components. My guess is that they are a little bit modified to make sure
> > > that prices are not easily comparable. Is this likely to be true?
> > >
> > > Cheers,
> > > Mariano
> >
> > If this is the PC for which you say in, an earlier email, that you
> > can install Knoppix on it, then you can also install Debian, but not
> > as easily.  Knoppix is based on Debian. One way to get Debian is to
> > install Knoppix and then convert it to Debian by downloading
> > packages over the internet.
>
> Paul,
>
>   thanks for taking the time.
>
>   Yet, it is the same pc. What I don't want is a Knoppix System.

First:  Knoppix is (largely) the same as Debian.  The packaging system
is identical, the default packages differ somewhat.

More significantly:  get a Knoppix disk.  Use it to identify the HW on
the system.  The 'lshw' command is useful, as is my own system-info
script:

    http://twiki.iwethey.org/Main/LinuxSystemInfoScript

> Yes, in theory it should work on Debian when it works on Knoppix, but
> when having to use the old installer then the modules are very much
> out of date.

Then use debootstrap to perform a chroot install under Knoppix as
described in the Debian Installation Manual.  Or use another installer:

   http://linuxmafia.com/faq/Debian/installers.html

> In this particular example, I don't get the network up, so it is
> pretty much pointless to use the old installer. Btw. The old installer
> was not even able to cope with a 160GB hd.

Google "large disk HOWTO".  bf2.4 install option may help you.  Or a
chroot (my own preference), as mentioned above.

Peace.

    With Ahnold as gropenator, we've once again got a Kennedy in
    office.  And when he says "Ich bin ein Berliner", you'll know he
    means it. <click type="heel">