Re: xscreensaver error: usage: xscreensaver-getimage [ -display host:dpy.screen ] [ -v ] window-id

on Fri, Dec 05, 2003 at 08:12:25PM -0800, Marc Wilson (msw@cox.net) wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 05, 2003 at 08:29:33AM -0800, Karsten M. Self wrote:
>
> <description of xscreensaver hacks displaying help messages deleted>
>
> > No Google hits, strace doesn't help much.  Sounds like someone got their
> > args wrong.
>
> So LOOK at their arguments, fix them, and then file a bug.  The
> "Advanced" button on the "Settings" pane of every graphics hack is
> what you want.

Not.

The problem is the system call within the hacks themselves.  If you
noted, I was running antspotlight from the command line.

Among the broken hacks:  antspotlight, gflux (-mode grab), flipscreen3d,
and glslideshow.

Other hacks work correctly with screengrabs:  decayscreen, distort,
jigsaw, ripple (-water), slidescreen, spotlight, zoom, and others.

While my initial post may not have been clear:  it appears the hacks
themselves have incorrect system calls.  I was looking for
corroboration.

Peace.

    STATE OF THE ART Expensive, loud and fragile. Occasionally functions for
    brief periods. In computer hardware terms, the "art" may be pottery
    - l'Inq                                       http://www.theinquirer.net/