Re: Cheap PC / unknown components. ALDI/Medion MD 8080 XL anyone?

Karsten M. Self wrote:
on Fri, Dec 05, 2003 at 11:45:25PM +0100, Mariano Kamp (mkamp@gmx.de) wrote:

On Friday 05 December 2003 23:22, Paul E Condon wrote:

On Fri, Dec 05, 2003 at 11:07:24PM +0100, Mariano Kamp wrote:

Hi,

 I bought one of the "cheap" PCs from a german discounter. I am
wondering if anybody has been able to install Debian on it? Any pointers
would be nice.

 www.linux-hardware.de wasn't helpful.

 Allmost all the components are unknown  when looking at the /proc/pci
output. This is interesting, because I believe they used "brand"
components. My guess is that they are a little bit modified to make sure
that prices are not easily comparable. Is this likely to be true?

Cheers,
Mariano

If this is the PC for which you say in, an earlier email, that you
can install Knoppix on it, then you can also install Debian, but not
as easily.  Knoppix is based on Debian. One way to get Debian is to
install Knoppix and then convert it to Debian by downloading
packages over the internet.

Paul,

 thanks for taking the time.

Yet, it is the same pc. What I don't want is a Knoppix System.

First:  Knoppix is (largely) the same as Debian.  The packaging system
is identical, the default packages differ somewhat.

More significantly:  get a Knoppix disk.  Use it to identify the HW on
the system.  The 'lshw' command is useful, as is my own system-info
script:

    http://twiki.iwethey.org/Main/LinuxSystemInfoScript

lspci in my Sarge sys is not in /sbin but in /usr/bin.
Wouldn't it be better to find out where those commands are rather than using hardcoded? But did you look at Klaus Knopper's scripts? Work rather nicely... I like his boot option "knoppix 2". You need no code to get that to work! I asked him how it worked and all I got back was "man init"... ;-)

Hugo.

Yes, in theory it should work on Debian when it works on Knoppix, but
when having to use the old installer then the modules are very much
out of date.

Then use debootstrap to perform a chroot install under Knoppix as
described in the Debian Installation Manual.  Or use another installer:

   http://linuxmafia.com/faq/Debian/installers.html

In this particular example, I don't get the network up, so it is
pretty much pointless to use the old installer. Btw. The old installer
was not even able to cope with a 160GB hd.

Google "large disk HOWTO".  bf2.4 install option may help you.  Or a
chroot (my own preference), as mentioned above.

Peace.