Re: Cheap PC / unknown components. ALDI/Medion MD 8080 XL anyone?

> >   Yes, in theory it should work on Debian when it works on Knoppix,

> That is only true to a degree. Klaus Knopper has a lot of very good
> scripts to do hardware detection instead of the usual startup from
> /etc/init.d
> When you do a hd install from Knoppix, you do not get those scripts.
>
> E.g. in my case I have Backstreet Ruby and two AT IBM keyboards plugged
> into the "regular" DIN keyboard outlet and the usual "mouse" outlet.
> Then I have 2 mice in the USB slots. Knoppix gets this right, but its HD
> installation gets it wrong and I have to adjust things manually.
>
> Personally I find the HD install a waste: way too much stuff from all
> over the place. His CD is a gem though.

Thanks to you (and the others) for sharing your insights.
I tend to agree and after beeing able to get my hands on a current version of
the installer I don't see why I should use Knoppix for my permanent Linux
boxes. The installation is running at the moment, but after having a peek
at /proc/pci the installation with the new installer looks **very** good to
me.

I'll still use Knoppix to show Linux to co-workers though ;-)

Cheers,
Mariano