Re: Cheap PC / unknown components. ALDI/Medion MD 8080 XL anyone?

Mariano Kamp wrote:
On Friday 05 December 2003 23:22, Paul E Condon wrote:

On Fri, Dec 05, 2003 at 11:07:24PM +0100, Mariano Kamp wrote:

Hi,

 I bought one of the "cheap" PCs from a german discounter. I am
wondering if anybody has been able to install Debian on it? Any pointers
would be nice.

 www.linux-hardware.de wasn't helpful.

 Allmost all the components are unknown  when looking at the /proc/pci
output. This is interesting, because I believe they used "brand"
components. My guess is that they are a little bit modified to make sure
that prices are not easily comparable. Is this likely to be true?

Cheers,
Mariano

If this is the PC for which you say in, an earlier email, that you can
install Knoppix on it, then you can also install Debian, but not as easily.
Knoppix is based on Debian. One way to get Debian is to install Knoppix and
then convert it to Debian by downloading packages over the internet.

Paul,

  thanks for taking the time.

Yet, it is the same pc. What I don't want is a Knoppix System. I want debian. Looking at the etc directory and some other stuff, I believe there are differences between Knoppix and Debian. Yes, in theory it should work on Debian when it works on Knoppix,

That is only true to a degree. Klaus Knopper has a lot of very good scripts to do hardware detection instead of the usual startup from /etc/init.d
When you do a hd install from Knoppix, you do not get those scripts.

E.g. in my case I have Backstreet Ruby and two AT IBM keyboards plugged into the "regular" DIN keyboard outlet and the usual "mouse" outlet. Then I have 2 mice in the USB slots. Knoppix gets this right, but its HD installation gets it wrong and I have to adjust things manually.

Personally I find the HD install a waste: way too much stuff from all over the place. His CD is a gem though.

Hugo.

but when
having to use the old installer then the modules are very much out of date. In this particular example, I don't get the network up, so it is pretty much pointless to use the old installer. Btw. The old installer was not even able to cope with a 160GB hd.

Cheers,
Mariano