Re: Can't Get Past "Install the Base System"

Dave L. Thompson wrote:
I am a newbie Debian installer, and I’m installing Debian on a Dell PC with the seven CD’s I downloaded from the Debian site. I have been unable to get past the “Install the Base System” portion. I’ve confirmed that dists/woody/main/binary-i386/Release is present on the installation CD, but anytime I try to use it, I get the following error:

“The installation program couldn’t find any directory containing a file basedebs.tar or dists/woody/main/binary-i386/Release.”

What gives?

Here is a rough guess -- i could be wrong though. Maybe you are not including some modules or some options in the steps preceding the Base Installation step which makes Debian actually search the CD's for the installation files. In short, doesn't the problem look like as if the installer is not able to see the CD when it tries to find the debs?

Those were my 2 cents. But I am a new Debain user too. There are other very competent people who can help you more accurately.

->HS

--
(Remove all underscores, if any, from my email address to get the correct one. Apologies for the inconvenience, but this is to reduce spam.)