Re: ye olde upgrade vs. dist-upgrade

Hello Thanasis!

On Thu, Dec 04, 2003 at 09:38:18PM -0700, Thanasis Kinias wrote:
Let me rephrase that:  Given that it is (for a system tracking testing)
at times necessary to do `dist-upgrade', is there any reason not to do
it always?

A quote from man apt-get
|dist-upgrade, in addition to performing the function of upgrade, also
|intelligently handles changing dependencies with new versions of
|packages

Thus I dare to conclude dist-upgrade is more complex than just a
simple upgrade. ;)
So if someone simply/only wants the functionality of 'upgrade' I'd
personally recommend to use the less complex method. This applies for
example to security updates in Woody, but also to many updates in
Sarge.

The alternative is to do `upgrade' routinely, and then redo it with
`dist-upgrade' when it fails occasionally, which (unless there's a good
reason to do it that way) seems like adding a needless extra step.

This way you'll just use the complex way only when it's really
necessary and stick to the simpler solution otherwise. True, it is an
extra step for the admin, but using 'dist-upgrade' all the time means
a lot of unnecessary extra steps all the other times for your box.

It comes down to a matter of principles: I personally prefer to use
the simple tool for a simple task.
Certainly nobody will force you to do the same... :-P

Cheers,
Flo